Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mini Corn Dogs



Image

Corn dogs have always been one of my favorite snacks to eat growing up. As I grew older and started realizing how "bad" corn dogs could be, I started limiting my consumption. However, I recently found this awesome recipe and decided that I'll change things up so that I feel less guilty about eating them. Awesome and easy recipe, and it's definitely a recipe to try!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of yellow corn meal
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 4 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup of milk (I used skim milk but can use 1%/2%/whole based on your preference)
  • wooden skewers (shorter the better)
  • Canola oil for deep-frying the corn dogs
  • Beef franks (I used 98% fat free hot dogs)

Directions:

1. Pour enough canola oil in a deep-sauce pan and preheat the oil on low/medium heat so that it will be hot enough to start frying once you are done mixing the batter.

2. Steam the hot dogs (I used microwave to save time--about 30 seconds).

Image
3. Cut the hot dogs in half and inset the wooden skewers into the hot dog. Set them aside.

Image
4. In a medium bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, black pepper, and baking power together.

Image
cornmeal

Image
flour

Image
salt

Image
black pepper

Image
(I didn't have the 1 tsp spoon, so used 1/2 tsp spoon 4 times for the baking powder)

Image
sugar

5. Stir in the egg and milk into the dry mixture.
Image
milk

Image
egg

6. Stir the ingredients until it's well-mixed.

Image

7. Roll the hot dogs in batter until well coated.

Image

Image

8. Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes. The batter makes about 24 corn dogs.

Yum! Like it??

Image






 photo Christy.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment